You are a musician or artist and on the hunt for public, governmental or private funding? Especially if you want to record a new album or you want to film a new music video, we have some tips for you on how to get financial support as an artist/musician in Germany:
Apply for Fundings at Your Local City/Community/Federal State
You can submit a request at your local city, community or federal state and ask for a funding of your project. Please keep in mind that there are different funding regulations, which means that each office or agency can have different requirements. Start with your search for funding early on, to make sure you don’t miss a deadline and that you fulfill all the requirements. That way you can choose the best funding authority for your new undertaking. If your production is already finished, it is very hard in most cases to get support afterwards. Concrete recording productions or freelance artists will not be funded that often, but there are still ways to receive funding or grants.
The art funding of the “Initiative Musik” supports up-and-coming musicians, the international propagation of German music as well as the integration of musicians with migration background. The following projects will be funded:
- audio and audio visual recordings
- production of sound carriers and image carriers
- promotion and marketing
- participation in international music competitions and music fairs
Artists can be funded up to 30,000 € per project. You can find more information about the art funding at the Initiative Musik.
The federal government of Germany or rather the state ministry of culture and media makes sure that the “Initiative Musik” can support German up-and-coming musicians in the genres rock, pop and jazz. Clubowners and organizers can be honored. You can find more information about the application process here.
An overview of all fundings through the Initiative Musik can be found here.
Fundings Through the German Music Council
The German music council supports artists through music competitions, music prizes, scholarships and awards by promotion measures. Furthermore they offer social services for artists to ensure additional supply, relief funds and honorarium for people concerned. Social insurances are among others the Künstlersozialkasse (KSK) and the GEMA-Sozialkasse.
Of course you can always look for a private sponsoring by companies or even business angels.
What Do You Need for a Application
- Description of your project: CD release, music video, concert, etc. The more information you have the better. Also demonstrate your sales and marketing strategies. The more publicity you can generate, the higher the possibility, that you awaken the interest of a potential funding authority.
- Budget preparation: Many funding bodies require a detailed list of your income and expenses (aid money, CD sales, concerts, etc.). Your list should show, that your project is not possible without any fundings. Therefore always keep all invoices, to have needed verification.
- Artist and band biography: What were you biggest accomplishments/success? Have you ever had collaborations with other (famous) artists/bands?