In this article, we will tell you how to make a professional and remarkable band/artist press kit. Press kits are an important tool for musicians, as they contain information about bands or artists and are submit to A&R reps from major and indie labels. So just making a press kit is not enough – you have to make your press kit stand out, so increasing the chance of getting recognized by those who matter in the music industry.
There are two basic types of press kits:
- Physical Press Kit
- Electronic Press Kit (EPK)
You can use both of them, but you cannot do without a physical press kit. Physical press kits are more likely to be received by record labels and booking agents, can be customized and made more attractive. EPKs are also important since they give you additional options such as videos and web links that are difficult to include in a physical press kit. However, make sure they do not replace physical press kits.
Press kits need to contain essential information about the band/artist. Here is a complete list:
- Biography: Keep it short and be creative. If you have an interesting back-story to tell, fire away, this is a very marketable thing.
- CD Demo: Include a high-quality recording of your most recent music.
- High Resolution Photo: A high quality image of you/your band is a must. Keep in mind that this might be reproduced in newspapers and magazines.
- Tour Dates & Past Shows: The more, the merrier – ticket sales are everything to record sales and booking agents, so show them that you are marketable.
- Press Reviews & Interviews: This is another proof to A&R reps that you will make them money.
- Contact Info: Make sure to include your phone number, address and email address.
As mentioned previously, electronic press kits give you additional options – for example you can add links to music clips, promotion videos, websites as well as a list of artists of similar styles or genres.
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression, so you’d better follow our advice to increase your chances to make it in the music business.